Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Scallion / Spring onions/ green onion pancakes with guacamole dip


I was being really lazy to post this one. This one was made sometime in September. 
Scallions/ green onions/spring onions are not a common item in my grocery shopping.  We went to the Pike Place Market, and found a big bunch of scallions just for a couple of bucks. Grabbed them immediately..:)

Scallion Pancakes


 I made some changes in the dough. First off, I used whole grain wheat flour instead of all purpose and I added some Indian spices in the dough to make it more tastier. 
Using the wheat, I think affects the elasticity, all purpose might have made them taste better and why not!!

So here is what I used to make these tempting pancakes-:
  • whole grain wheat flour
  • cumin powder
  • chili powder
  • turmeric powder
  • Ajwain seeds
  • salt
  • canola oil
  • warm water to kneed the dough
  • and lots of chopped scallions.
Just eyeballed the ingredients. 

Kneaded the dough with warm water and all the spices, with salt and some oil. Dividing them into small balls, rolled them, sprinkled the scallions and rolled them again to make nice round shapes. Shallow fried them over the stove top on a skillet. Served hot with homemade guacamole dip.

Here is the procedure with the step - by- step pictures. Hope it helps.


Guacamole dip


  • Avocados
  • Cumin Powder
  • Lemon
  • Salt 
  • Cilantro spring
Cut the avocados in to cubes, add salt, cumin powder, chopped cilantro, and then squeeze some lemon juice on top. Mash the avocados and mix everything together. 

I didn't add garlic and tomatoes, which traditional recipe usually asks for. I thought I will keep it simple. It still tasted great.
Make the wedges out of pancakes and use the guacamole as a dip or simply eat it like paratha with guacamole as a chutney. So try this great combination and leave a comment if you like it.

I am sending this entry to Only Greens Event hosted by Sara's Corner and Foodelicious. What a great event!


1 comment:

Nora - Dinnerware said...

Nice! Happy holidays to everyone!