Thursday, September 10, 2009

Khajur Barfi (Date Rolls)



Nowadays, I get hungry all the time. I have to admit that I need something to munch on almost 24 hours a day. Just because, I am allowed to eat anything I want, I should not allow myself to indulge in unhealthy food. That's why I am always on a lookout for a healthy snack that I can prepare beforehand and then just save it for later.


Khajur Barfi is one of them. I am not a huge fan of khajur, so adding khajur to my daily diet wasn't really an easy task for me until I hit this recipe. This is really fun to make, with very less efforts and a big satisfaction of doing something good to yourself.


Khajur, as you all know, known as dates and has tons of nutritional value to it. Take a look at this and let me know if you can read the whole chart in one sitting. voooooooooffffff!!! I gave up!!




Benefits of this great fruit.





In this recipe, I am not going to add any sugar, or milk or any fat. Dates themselves are very sweet in taste and that's what makes this recipe even healthier.


There are really only 3 ingredients in this barfi-:
  • Khajur-(Dates)- pitted chopped roughly-2 cups


  • Desi Ghee-(clarified butter)- about 3 tbsp

  • cashews and almonds- chopped/sliced



Procedure is very simple.


  • Heat the ghee in the pan, and add the chopped pitted dates to it.

  • over low to medium flame, keep stirring constantly.
  • Keep stirring until the dates are soften.
  • Take a baking sheet, or a flat tray or a cutting board on which you can spread the dates.
  • Spread the dates mixture and press it down.
  • Sprinkle the chopped/ sliced almonds and cashews when the date mixture is hot.
  • Press them down, so that they can stick to the dates. You can use a spatula or just any glass bowl to press them down.

  • Wait until it cools down to handle, and then cut and make them in to rolls or any shape you like.
  • You can store these lovely bite size rolls for about 15-20 days.


No comments: