Thursday, June 19, 2008

Green Rice (Pulav)

Today, I am craving for Green Pulav, an extremely aromatic dish made up of rice and all kinds of spices and vegetables. I can't imagine how many versions of pulav one can find in India. Peas pulav, vegetable pulav, keshar pulav to name a few and the list is unending. All the regions in India have local taste to this dish. Usually basmati rice is used for it's rich flavor. One can really be creative and find endless ingredients to make this dish scrumptious.
I get really satisfied when I smell this dish way before it gets ready to eat. So let me start with the recipe otherwise I will be satisfied right at this moment just by imagination.

Ingredients you will need-
2 cups of Basmati rice
1 bunch of Cilantro (we call it coriander in India) roughly chopped

4-5 leaves of mint (optional) I really like the smell of mint.
half lemon, lime will also do, whatever you have on hand is fine. I used lime here.
Olive oil 2 tbsp.

salt to taste.
Spices-

2 cloves
2-3 Cardamom whole

3-4 peppercorns whole
1 stick of cinnamon
1 bay leaf



1 and half inch ginger- roughly chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic- roughly chopped
2 green chillies ( If you think it will be too spicy for you, I would suggest start with 1 chilli )


4 cups of water.

Indians are comfortable with all these spices. If you feel that it will be too spicy for you palate , you can cut down on spices to half than what my recipe suggests.


Start with washing the basmati rice and keeping it aside.

We are going to make a paste of some ingredients which will give the green color to this rice. So put Cilantro, mint leaves, chopped garlic, chopped ginger, and green chillies in to a blender/ mixer, or a food processor. Blend it to make a paste. Squeeze lime on it. Lime holds the green color of the paste.

Take a deep heavy bottom pan which has a lid on it.
Coat the pan with olive oil. Add cloves, cardamom, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf. After a minute add onion to it. Fry for a minute and then add green paste that we made in a blender. Fry it for couple of minutes, and now its time to add vegetables that you like. I usually add cauliflower, potato, peas, green beans, but today I ran out off those, so I m
ade my today's version with only onions. After you add vegetables mix all the paste and the vegetables together. Now add salt as per your taste.

The rice which we kept aside by washing it, now it's time for it to go in to the pan. Mix rice well with all the mixture in the pan. The measure for water is 1:2. So add 4 cups of water for 2 cups of rice. I always heat the water before adding it to the pan. This way, rice immediately starts to cook, keeping the temperature of the mixture constant. This tip is shared by my mother in law. Thanks to her, it made sense.

Allow rice to cook for about 10 minutes on a medium to high flame. I always check after 8-10 minutes, that way I feel comfortable. It' a good idea to take off the lid and check in between. But usually it takes about 10-12 minutes.

Your nose will know when it's ready. Turn off the flame. I usually add fried onion on top of it for crispiness. You can also add cashews if you want.
Serve it with yogurt, or a pickle. For me this rice is so full of flavors that I really don't think it needs any side dish.
Just enjoy it with plain yogurt.




Coming up: Zucchini Soup

1 comment:

Ivy said...

This look really good and seems simple to make.
Great Blog Manali! I can't wiat to see more. :)